Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Class Clown

Got home from dog school last night and was completely deflated.  My sweet, smart Charlie, who sits, lays down, stays, and smiles on command at home was a total delinquent in class.  I admit that I went into the class feeling cocky and over confident (perhaps this was a lesson from Charlie to me.)  This adorable creature just could not contain himself around all his doggie classmates!  He eventually did calm down but I left there feeling more motivated than ever to learn how to speak this animal's language.  

Wendy worked on several new commands in class, the most interesting one was the "stand up" command.  I never even thought about this one but I can see how useful it will be, particularly with a service animal.  (Imagine a giant golden retriever in a down-stay who just might be blocking an aisle or doorway.  Simply direct him to stand up.  Genius!)

We've got a private session tomorrow in a public park so I'm certain that we'll continue to work on dealing with distractions along with Charlie's other list of skills.  For now, I'm still pretty proud of his performance in non-distracting environments.  One day at a time ....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Charlie's feeling his oats!!
He was probably thinking....oh goodie, play time!!