Friday, August 8, 2008

The Charlie Effect


I know I've written before about Charlie's magnetic draw and the desire he instills in complete strangers to ask about Charlie or North Star Dogs.   While that hasn't changed one bit, I've recently begun to recognize a more subtle effect of Charlie's presence.

Yesterday after dropping Tim off to a speech therapy session, I took Charlie with me for a quick romp in the park followed by a stop at our local Starbucks to quench the thirst I had worked up watching Charlie play like a puppy.  

I'm no different than any other formerly-working-now-stay-at-home-mom type who, when found without her charge(s), can feel a little beige in the seemingly colorful chaos of the working masses.  However, put the end of Charlie's leash in my hand and suddenly life is a musical.  People start smiling at me, holding doors open, ... why, yesterday this nice young man actually offered to give me tickets to take my son to an Oakland A's game ... and I didn't even have my kid with me!  

All this unsolicited kindness made me think about this same effect spilling over onto Tim and makes me more grateful than ever for Charlie.

1 comment:

DMV47 said...

At least you're still beige. I've been feeling a little pallid lately - shall we say...vampire white? :) Do you get to keep Charlie forever?