Wednesday, August 13, 2008

This Dog Likes to Dig



In keeping this chronicle of Charlie's evolution into Autism-Service-Dog-Extraordinaire, I feel it my duty to periodically disclose some of the lower points of his training (lest we all forget that this is a puppy we're working with.)   Despite hours and hours of training, Charlie has managed to get a few good dig sites started in our yard (note the incriminating paw although Charlie swears it's not his.)

Knowing Charlie's propensity for earth moving, I now keep a vigilant eye on him when he is in the yard.   This morning, I had to chuckle when Charlie happily trotted from behind Tim's playhouse with an instrument of yard destruction clenched in his jaws.

When I finished laughing, Charlie graciously posed for me with his new found toy.


7 comments:

Tony Hii said...

Hello, you have a nice blog.

Wendy Krehbiel said...

So, you could give him a "legal" digging area. Get a kid's pool or sandbox and fill it with sand. Put it in a cool, shady spot. Bury treats and some of his toys in the area. Praise him and make a big deal when he digs in the digging area. If he digs in the wrong spot, redirect him to his digging area.

BTW - LOVE the shovel pics!!!!

Anonymous said...

too, too funny!! Charlie is such a hard worker!i love the idea of a digging area.

DMV47 said...

So when can Charlie come over? I was planning to finally get started on my garden.....Bring Tim along! He and Nbear can plant the seeds:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Carolyn!!
We also have a North Star dog named Lily. We live just outside of Philadelphia. We received her last September. Our family has been enjoying your pictures and experiences with Charlie thus far. Keep up the good work! We're rooting for you guys! We're going to blog about Lily, our dog, as well as our son's road to recovery since starting biomedical treatment. We wish you and your family all the best!!!
Molly in PA

Carolyn said...

Molly - I hope you see this note because I'd love to stay in touch to share our experiences. Feel free to reach out to Patty for my home e-mail or keep sending me notes on this site. Can't wait to hear about Lily!

Anonymous said...

Carolyn,
I would love to keep in touch with you as well. I don't have a relationship with Patty, but would love to support you and your family in spite of that. How can I get my contact info to you, or yours to me??
Molly