Monday, March 30, 2009

California Springtime

Forgive me bloggers for I have been distracted.  It's been two weeks since my last post and and in that short time spring has hit northern California in full force.

A weekend outing to Sunol Regional Wilderness Park took our breath away yesterday as we devoured the sights and smells of the season.  Wildflowers dot the hillsides ...

... and huge swarms of butterflies fill the sky.  (I'm not exaggerating when I describe these swarms like small butterfly blizzards!  If I was a better photog I would have captured the masses but you'll have to settle for this one little guy that stopped for a breather on a blossom near me.)

Of course, I would have loved to end this post with nothing but pix of the bucolic scenes of the Nor Cal mountains in spring but with the fragrant comes the pungent.  Yes, the wonder dog managed to stumble upon a fresh cow pie and promptly started break dancing upon it.

What is it with dogs and excrement?  Charlie is truly a brilliant specimen but I am yet to meet a dog that does not possess an unrestrained desire to throw its body into the nearest mound of dung.   Instinct?  I don't know. Vile?  Unequivocally.    

I must admit that Charlie did show some signs of regret.  It seemed that after he'd successfully covered himself in steamy cow poo,  he discovered his own offensiveness and began to frantically roll on the trail in what appeared to be a desperate attempt to purge himself of his newly acquired odor.

Fortunately, this particular hike takes us past a barn with water so Chuck got a quick spritz and we were back on track smelling nothing but the flowers.


6 comments:

Clive said...

Carolyn, we laughed so much when we saw the poo that Charlie got on him. A dog is just a dog at the end of the day! Our little man would have gone mad - he hates mess so I'm glad we haven't had that particular one happen to us yet!

The photos are lovely - wish we had a touch of spring like that here and those flowers are beautiful.

Lovely to read an update from you and hope all is going well.

jemkagily said...

What a look on Charlie's face as he's getting hosed off!! "Bleeagh! What was I thinking? Hurry, Daddy, hurry!"

What did Tim think of it all?

Furever Friend said...

Hey there...

I was wondering what you were up to. Glad to see that it was good things!! (at least for most of you)

Thanks for sharing! I always enjoy your pictures and insight.

Selba said...

We love the last picture a lot!!! :)

Licks,
Adele, Vincent & Bella

Michelle O'Neil said...

Poor Charlie! Live and learn. At least there was a hose. Gorgeous pics.

DMV47 said...

Thank GOD for convenient hose locations. The word "steaming" was powerful enough to get the point across, Carolyn. *ROFL*