Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Service Beyond Autism

One of the best parts about writing this blog has been meeting ("virtually") so many folks interested in Charlie and his magical influence on Tim.  Of course many of these folks are members of the A Club and I've enjoyed countless exchanges with other club members about the joys and frustrations of membership.  

More surprising has been the vast number of  "non-members" who know little or nothing about Autism but simply share an interest in service dogs and are eager to support us in our journey with Charlie.  (If you want to read some inspiring stories about incredible service dogs, check out Cruisin With Cricket and  A Service Dogs Journey )

Then a few weeks ago I "met" a woman who is awaiting the arrival of her daughter's service dog and I was reminded that North Star provides dogs to children of varying abilities, including those who may not have autism.   

I've been following her blog with interest largely because it tells the story of another North Star placement but it was this poignant post that really got me.   This lovely woman is a member of a different club - one with many of the same joys and frustrations that we in the A Club share.   After reading about her family, I am completely inspired by her commitment and determination to make a life for her child rife with experience and love.   Hers is a story that I am certain will continue to inspire and I look forward to devouring every forthcoming detail.  

(**UPDATE:  Since I originally drafted this, a North Star litter was born and one of the new born pups will be going to this sweet girl!)

2 comments:

Clive said...

Carolyn
We just read all three blogs you mentioned. As you say it was wonderful to read about what other service dogs are doing and the impact they have. We will follow with great interest the story of Furever Friends and the arrival of their new North Star dog.

Furever Friend said...

Carolyn,

I am humbled by your words. Whatever "the club", it's our love for our children that keeps us going.

You have inspired me and, hopefully, Charlie will inspire our North Star Dog (smile).

Thanks!