Monday, March 16, 2009

Normalcy

There's simply no denying Charlie's magic.   His impact on Tim is more and more evident every day.  We've all been charmed by him and when we take him out in public wearing his North Star "clothes" we are inundated with inquiries about him and his work with Tim.  But sometimes the thing I appreciate most about Charlie isn't what the North Star team has trained him to do for Tim.

This weekend was wonderfully low key with nothing but some local exploring, a great local hike (with Wendy the Trainer and her crew), and a Sunday spent assembling an Indiana Jones Lego set.   Charlie accompanied us for almost everything (we left him home during an exploration of San Francisco) and true to form, he expressed interest in anything that we happened to be doing.

On Sunday, as I watched my autistic son manipulating hundreds of microscopic lego pieces with his dad to his right and his dog to his left, I was struck by just how "normal" this looked.  A kid on a rainy afternoon playing with some legos.  I know, we're not talking Norman Rockwell here but just a few years ago this was a scene I could barely imagine.    

It's this feeling of "normalcy" that Charlie creates for us that I relish.  When Tim is with Charlie he's just a boy with his dog whether he's playing on the trampoline, ...

... watching airplanes at the local airport, ... 

... going for a good long walk ...

... or building Legos on a rainy day.  Tim always wants Charlie with him and Charlie doesn't seem to care what the chosen activity might be so long as he gets to be there, tagging along with Tim.   No judgment.  No sympathy.  No "A Club."  Just a boy and his dog.  Normal.  


8 comments:

Cathy said...

I can't even begin to express how much I relate to this post. We've been dealing with some pretty major set backs with Jack as of late, but we enjoyed months of "normalcy" for quite sometime prior to this recent set back. I am so happy for you and for Tim and Charlie and hope that we, too, will return to the wonderful normalcy we had experienced last year.

DMV47 said...

No "A" club.
I love that.
I really, really do :)

Shannon and Cameron said...

Love the photo of Tim and Andy (and of course Charlie). I'm putting myself in lego zone... Tim and Andy will have to give me all the tips on constructing one of those things :)

Michelle O'Neil said...

Gorgeous post. Beautiful boy. Beautiful Charlie. Beautiful family.

Clive said...

Those are wonderful photos - Charlie is so interested in everything that is going on - as you say, just a boy and a dog doing normal things. You're absolutely right - it couldn't get much better than that. We absolutely agree with you. It's just doing little everything things that you really appreciate just how wonderful and magical these dogs are!

Heather and Kelly said...

Wow, that is really great. Charlie must be making a huge difference in your lives. Does North Star have normal people apply to raise a puppy? I couldn't find any information about raising the puppies on their website. Thanks!

Wendy Krehbiel said...

hmmm, it's been almost 2 weeks since your last blog... Is your keyboard broken?

Melissa Mitchell said...

You know that feeling of normalcy and relatability is something I also cherish. When I take my girl to the dog park or the beach, I am just another person enjoying life with their dog. It a topic people feel safe getting to know me through,