Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Party Time

We were invited to a party last Friday and the invitation included Tim and Charlie so naturally everyone (including Chuck) had to get spruced up. We ran a little short on time that day so I opted to bathe him in the back yard rather than going to our favorite dog wash and with a little prodding I was able to get Tim on board for the task. So first, we gathered up our gear, ...

... and then got right down to business. Tim happily showered Charlie ...

... and Charlie happily showered Tim.

Now that everyone was clean it was time to fret about the party. Tim LOVES parties but you just never know how things will go (A Club parents surely know what I'm talking about here.) Plus, it wasn't just Tim that we had to fret about ... what if Charlie lost his wits and demonstrated some yet unseen wacky behavior? We (actually, just me) were starting to feel a little pressure about this event.

I'm a big believer that preparation is the key to relieving stress so I decided to work with Tim on preparing for the party. We knew that there would be two other little kids there so we spent the rest of the afternoon practicing names and thinking about ways we could introduce the children to Charlie.

As expected, Charlie was a brilliant ambassador for North Star and our family (except for his need to "download a brown load" in the host's well manicured yard. Did I mention that the host was Andy's former boss? Andy quickly removed any evidence of this minor transgression and I don't think anyone was the wiser.) The children threw tennis balls for Chuck to chase, walked him around the yard like a small pony, offered countless sticks for chewing, and eagerly posed for pictures.

I think Chuck was particularly fond of this little guy because he managed to score a few mouthfuls of pasta from him during dinner. (I saw it all transpire but it was simply too cute to correct!)

While it's always great to see Charlie showered with attention, what really thrills me is when I see Tim being welcomed into a group of kids to play. No doubt Charlie was the ice breaker - these kids clearly adored him. But after wearing Charlie out, the kids all played together and that's what really makes my day.

Yup, that's Tim right in there with the other kids. Can't think of much that makes me happier than that. Of course Tim was tickled pink to play with other kids and their toys. Even today as I type this, he's been peeking over my shoulder looking at the photos and saying, "let's do it again."

Phew.


4 comments:

Clive said...

Carolyn,

That is just so positive to read. Nothing like the experience of just having a normal time at a party and everyone enjoying themselves. Well done to both Tim and Charlie (and you, of course, for all the preparation!)

Take care
Fiona

Michelle O'Neil said...

Congrats on all accounts! So glad Charlie was a big hit and so glad Tim had fun with the other kids.

Happy, happy for you all!

Olivia said...

I am a puppy raiser for Dogs for Autism in SC. We use beautiful German Shepherdsl. I LOVE this blog. I don't have children. I have a fiance and we have dogs. Maybe one day we will have children. I marvel at parents of autistic children. You exhibit such patience and love. I am so happy to see Charlie doing wonderful things for your son. I wish everyone could understand the value of pets/animals for their lives in general. Check us out at www.dogsforautism.org.

Unknown said...

This line of replica handbags combines the iconic monogram of designer bags with the shiny Vernis lacquered finish that became popular in France during the reign of Louis XV. Originally it was a copy of the Chinese lacquer that was all the range with the rich and powerful of the Continent. Today louis vuitton has made this style his own. Not only is does the lacquer produce a high gloss shine, but louis vuitton handbags still allows the original richness of the leather to shine through.