Saturday, June 20, 2009

Pee Spots

See this?

Yup, that's what happens when a well trained dog, capable of voiding on command, chooses to void in the exact same spot every day. This is particularly vexing because Andy just spent several weeks re-landscaping our yard. (I'm talking about a major undertaking involving jackhammers, loads of dirt, and a tractor trailer delivery of a pallet of sod.) Needless to say, my patient husband's patience is wearing thin.

I mentioned this whole thing to my favorite pet shop owner (we love you, Murphy's Paw!) and she informed me that male dogs don't make brown grass. As I blankly stared back at her, she insisted that people actually seek out male dogs because their pee doesn't burn the grass. Has anyone out there ever heard that? If that's true, clearly Chuck has some extraordinary tinkle because his "pee spot" is burned to a crisp.

In my quest to resolve this problem I reached out to my dear friend in Virginia (also the proud mother of two kids and a young dog) and she mentioned a biscuit designed to neutralize whatever it is in urine that burns up my grass. A quick visit to Amazon.com and I had the biscuits in hand within a week.

Today we are well into a non-scientific test using Charlie as my subject. According to the directions on the box, Charlie is to receive two biscuits a day and then after 4-6 weeks we should see results in the form of a lush, spot free yard.

Week four and we're still burned out. I'm giving it two more weeks and then I'm throwing out the biscuits. (Did I mention that the biscuits smell like brussels sprouts? Eew.)

3 comments:

Clive said...

Oh dear! Clive does the same as well to our grass and the only solution I find is to follow him out and immediately flood the patch with water from our watering can! Okay, a lot of work but it does seem to work!

He also particularly like to go in certain places but luckily several are out of view of the main lawn so it doesn't suffer too much - and when he does use the lawn or one of my favourite plants - I'm there behind him watering!!

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

We're in the woods up here in N.Idaho, so you can bet money where us 2 pooches enjoy voiding. Yup, you guessed it,the 2 little patches of grass planted next to the cabin. he he. Our spots look like your spot. Let our mommy know how your experiment works.
Smooches from Pooches,
BabyRocketDog & Hootie

Cory Sonnen said...

Kris Jones who makes the cards is a friend of mine and sent me the link to your blog.

You said you wanted to know if male dogs make brown spots.. they do. The female dog gets most the blame as they typically squat to pee, therefore you see a more pronounced "spot" where a male dog usually lifts the leg and pees on something like a bush or tree, etc. They both have the same potency in their urien that damages lawn by changing the PH of the soil and making it hard for grass so survive. (same as road salt does)

I own a grass seed company and we have a product called the K9 Yard patch www.k9yardpatch.com that is 100% natural and really works. We sell it at a few retailers across the country but are working hard for more. Our product works by first neutralizing the problem and changing the soil, which allows the grass to come back to normal. It also has seed if you got there too late.

The biscuits and pills don't work to prevent the damage to lawns. I love the idea if done naturally but it is really a gimmick to say they will prevent yellow spots.

I would be happy to send you a bag for free to give it a whirl.

Best regards,

Cory Sonnen