Thursday, May 28, 2009

Time Flies


It's been a year - 365 days with Charlie the wonder dog and I just can't believe it.  I could swear it was just a few weeks ago that Patty from North Star handed over the leash at the San Francisco airport and sent me on my way with her sage words of advice:  "I think he has to pee."  As luck would have it, there is actually a pet relief station at SFO and it was there that Charlie and I shared our first intimate moment.  [This picture was taken in the parking lot at SFO just before we headed home to meet Tim for the first time.]

I don't think I'll ever forget that day - meeting Patty after years of waiting for our dog's birth, meeting Charlie as a 5 month old puppy, and introducing Charlie to Tim in the back of my car.  What an exciting day it was.   [This next pic is when Tim met Charlie.]

[Here he was trying out his bed for the first time on that fateful day.]

Of course, I also remember the anxiety of having another non-verbal member of the family.  My first lesson in non-verbal canine communication came on that very first afternoon when I fed Charlie and then neglected to show him where the door to go outside was.  That was the first and only time Chuck pooped in my house.  (We're both quick learners.)

Over the course of the year we've had countless sessions with Wendy the Trainer, both privately and in her group classes, and we've even gotten within inches of the CGC brass ring.  We've watched Charlie learn how to hike, how to walk on a leash, and how to swim like a fish.  He even rides in the car without the nausea that plagued him as a young pup.  (Thanks to Judy the Puppy Raiser for getting him over that unpleasant hump.)  And we've watched him grow from gangly clumsy puppy to giant gangly clumsy dog.

[Look at him then ...]
[... and now.]

Charlie's come a long way for sure, but what is even more thrilling are the changes we've seen in Tim over the course of the year.  The rational side of my brain (whatever is left of it) tells me that the countless therapies, treatments, and specialized schooling that Tim receives every day is explanation for Tim's tremendous strides.  But my heart tells me that Charlie has played a huge role in Tim's development.

From day one Charlie's impact on Tim was evident as we found Tim curled up on the floor and talking to Charlie.  Tim rarely spoke before Charlie arrived.  Now not only does Tim talk to Charlie but Tim's spontaneous language has increased exponentially and it's increasing every week.    

Language isn't the only change in Tim since the arrival of Charlie.  Because we've made Tim responsible for the care and maintenance of Chuck (basically feeding and exercising him) he's learned a great lesson in responsibility.    We've also gotten the empathy lesson from our recent trip to the vet when Charlie suffered from an embedded foxtail and consequent infection.  

Charlie has become Tim's go-to guy for just about everything.  When I pick him up from school his first question is inevitably "Where's Charlie?"  At night he begs to let Charlie sleep on his bed.  At home they play in the yard together, wrestle on the floor, and chase each other all over the house.   The sounds of their companionship are nothing short of intoxicating.

Tim isn't the only one who's experienced the magic of Charlie.  My husband has become the evening walker taking vigorous nightly walks with Chuck which makes both of them very happy and healthy.  And me, ... well Charlie is as close to a second child as you can get without actually getting pregnant.  I absolutely love this dog and all that he has given to my family.

Sure, there have been some occasional headaches because of Charlie:  a few chewed up toys;  some big yellow spots in the yard;  the juice/soda/wine/coffee stains on the rug from an overzealous nose nudge;  vet bills;  the stain on the carpet underneath Charlie's crate.   At one time or another these may have irritated me.  But today, on this one year anniversary, I can barely remember any of them.  

Thanks so much to North Star for sending Charlie to us.  We're looking forward to many, many more dog years together!

7 comments:

Katie said...

Hi! I found your blog and thought you might be interested in submitting a story to a service dog anthology project. Kathy Nimmer, a blind author who uses a guide dog, is compiling stories and interviews from people with service dogs for inclusion in an anthology to be sold on the mass market. From the info on your blog, it looks like you have amazing stories to tell. If you're interested, please check out www.servicedogstories.com for more information and to submit a story or request an interview. I look forward to hearing from you!

Michelle O'Neil said...

Happy anniversary!!! The photos are so so sweet. He looks so small and nervous in the first pics and then he's a big smiling boy dog in the latter. I am so happy to hear of Tim's progress with his doggie.

Go Charlie!

Go Tim!

Judy said...

Charlie was a wonderful puppy and has grown up to be an even more wonderful friend and companion!!!

Michelle S. said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the very kind words. It really means a lot to me. I can't believe I founds something new. I have never heard of an austism service dog! I look forward to reading more! Olga's is awesome. My cousin moved to Florida and was just here for a visit and Olga herself was at the restaurant. My cousin was begging her to open one in FL! lol I'm curious where you grew up? Hope to "see" you again soon.

Gerda said...

What a great story. I am going to be raising a puppy for Northstar who will be placed with a 5 year old boy in Los Angeles. This is my first experience with Northstar but I can hardly wait to get started. June 5th is when he arrives from Connecticut and while my time with him will be short, I am hoping to make him a perfect companion for his little boy who I am sure will love him as much as your boy loves Charlie.

Shan and Cam said...

Tim has made TONS of progress! I'm way excited for you guys and the future can only get brighter!

Furever Friend said...

Carolyn,

What an amazing blog! You bring tears to my eyes. Charlie and your family are such an inspiration for us. We are so excited to follow in Charlie's footsteps with Maya.

Thanks!